Over the years, many of the city's visitors have arrived by ferry from Harwich, Essex, England, but this service closed in September 2014 having run since 1875.
When approached by sea, the Man Meets the Sea is one of the prominent monuments, consisting of four 9-metre-tall (27 feet) white-coloured men, overlooking Sædding Beach.More recently, it has become a centre for shipping offshore wind turbines.In addition to handling 65 percent of all Danish wind turbines, which supply 3 gigawatts (4,000,000 hp) of offshore wind power, components have been shipped to various British wind farms.Ultimately, it handled produce from 140 dairies spread across the whole of Jutland.After the Second World War, the town developed several agricultural industries, especially meat processing and packaging with a plant employing over 300.
100 gratis dating Ringkøbing-Skjern
At the time, Esbjerg consisted of only a few farms.Developed under royal decree from 1868 until 1874, the harbour was officially opened in 1874, with rail connections to Varde and to Fredericia, an important hub on the east coast of Jutland.The market square (Torvet) was positioned at the centre, midway between the harbour and the railway station. In 1893, Esbjerg became a municipality in its own right (initially known as Esbjerg Ladeplads), receiving the status and privileges of a market town in 1899 and incorporating the parish of Jerne (east of the centre) in 1945.Lonely Planet remarked that "nobody comes to Esbjerg for a holiday, in fact, as with many industrial ports, most visitors rush through as quickly as possible".
Esbjerg is the main town for Denmark's oil and offshore activities, with companies like Maersk, Ramboll, Stimwell Services, ABB, Schlumberger, COWI and Atkins all having offshore-related activities in the town. The port has served the Danish offshore industry since oil and gas were first extracted from the North Sea in the early 1970s.Esbjerg developed quickly with the population rising to 13,000 by 1901 and 70,000 by 1970.In addition to its fishing and shipping activities, it also became an important centre for agricultural exports.) is a seaport town and seat of Esbjerg Municipality on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in southwest Denmark.By road, it is 71 kilometres (44 mi) west of Kolding and 164 kilometres (102 mi) southwest of Aarhus.